32 No. 1
by Solar Olugebefola
The 2nd International Conference on Self-Healing Materials was held from 28 June to 1 July 2009 in Chicago, USA. More than 250 delegates, originating from 21 countries, attended the conference, which was the second in a biennial series. The scientific program featured 3 plenary talks, 9 keynote lectures, 150 contributed lectures, and 31 poster presentations.
Scott White (co-chair) opened the conference with a welcome to delegates. This was followed by the first plenary lecture from Byung-Lip “Les” Lee (Air Force Office of Scientific Research, USA) on “Multifunctional Design Perspectives for Self-Healing and Autonomic Response.” The other two plenary talks were “Recent Advances in Self-Healing Concrete for Sustainable Infrastructure” given by Victor Li (University of Michigan, USA) and “Self-Assembling Materials: Hierarchical Structures and Repair Strategies” given by Samuel Stupp (Northwestern University, USA).
The conference was run in four parallel sessions due to the large number of talks and was divided into 10 symposia:
- Self-Healing Cementitious Materials
- Self-Healing Supramolecular Polymers
- Mechanochemically Active Polymers
- Thermally Activated/Thermoplastic Self-Healing
- Self-Healing Fibre-Reinforced Composite Materials
- Self-Healing Metallic Materials
- Self-Healing with Internal Liquid Healing Agents
- Numerical Analysis Tools for Self-Healing
- Experimental Techniques for Assessment of Self-Healing
- Concepts and Limitations in Self-Healing Materials
In addition, a poster session was held on the evening of the second day of the conference.
The overall level of scientific discourse was quite high, and the introduction to new, unpublished, or recently published research in many different areas of self-healing materials systems provided a highly useful snapshot of the state of the field. The 3rd ICSHM will be held in 2011 in the UK.
Solar Olugebefola <[email protected]> is a professor at the University of Illinois and was a member of the local organizing committee.
last modified 28 January 2010.
Copyright © 2003-2010 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
Questions regarding the website, please contact [email protected]